Tuesday, February 22, 2011

man vs. wild

Capoeira is the joke yet the serious conversation. It is the inner child yet the grown adult. Friend or foe. In a roda, it is the foe. Now that I made roda my friend, I have in turn made friends myself, and I found that. Before, I thought Capoeira was just something fun to do, just to be cool, do a kick, a flip, and call it a day. But I saw that this was something more. Capoeira is a dance, a song, a conversation between two capoeiristas, and I thought this would be something fun like Bboy-ing. So, I went ready to take on a challenge that I never knew was going to change my life slowly. I immediately realized that it was a lot harder than I thought. My maestro asked me, “Can you do a one-hand stand?” I thought it would be simple, I mean, kids do it all the time, so why couldn’t I? Well, I found out that I couldn’t do one to save my life. After repeating the embarrassing one-hand stand over and over, we started to do kicks up in the air. I was able to do these better, but I still felt foolish. But I’ll keep going. The atabaque is my heart, life is my berimbau, and everyone is clapping to the rhythm. SALVE!

Track for the week:

No comments: